Thursday, January 14, 2016

What I read (for fun) in 2015

Yes, I know, I am supposed to read narrowly in my field so as to become that robotic expert who offers their sing song advice to all within earshot.  I know, I'd be better off if I fell asleep at night reading the latest research  (actually, that is what my TOC alerts keep me busy doing a lot of every day). But what kind of a human would you be without a diet of literature, of fiction and writing that humanizes you? I'm not nominating myself as a model representative for any kind of idealized path of cultivation. But pick your side: just what are academics trying to cultivate in themselves and those around them these days?

And yes, these were mostly hardbacks, all locally bought. Where would my kids and I hang out if the bookstores we have here in Lexington folded?  I expect that Amazon shipping centers would discourage the use of their facilities as public space.