Thursday, July 7, 2022

First harvest of garlic and kale basil lemon pesto

The Kentucky soils again made me feel like I know how to garden. My first garlic crop worked much to my surprise.  I didn't harvest too soon or too late. We roasted some of the fresh garlic and I set the rest up in front of a fan downstairs to cure for a couple of weeks. I have about three dozen bulbs to store. And a week or so after the garlic harvest, my basil plants needed a first clipping to keep them from going to seed. My kale was doing well despite the heat, and from these confluences arose the return of  summer pesto. That's a bus tray piled with my garden's contributions in the photo below, the first of 2022. Actually, the twins have been eating my kale basil lemon pesto all year, as I still had enough frozen from last summer to last through this past June. To the basil and kale, I add raw pumpkin seeds, olive oil, and just a little bit of parmesan - easy on the cheese so that it is more vegetable than dairy product.