Sunday, October 18, 2020

Documenting my participation in a Covid-19 vaccine trial

There weren't many requirements for participating in the trial. I had to administer Covid tests to myself several times and mail in my swabs. I also had to donate blood at intervals after each vaccination.  After a dose, I had to complete a series of questions through an app in my phone. The questions were about any symptoms I might have experienced immediately after my shot. I was struck by the ordinariness of the vaccine trial. It was like going to the doctor for a regular checkup. I did not belabor the decision, although I periodically reflect upon the likelihood of any immune enhancement effects. This is when exposure to a vaccine inadvertently triggers a heightened response to the pathogen when exposure does occur. Will I get take another vaccine when they become available to the public? I'll have to wait and see what the numbers come out to be all the vaccines. Look for a combined flu/Covid vaccine for the 2022-2023 viral respiratory season.