Monday, October 19, 2020

Participating in a Covid-19 vaccine trial

 I am participating in a Covid-19 vaccine trial. It's for the Novavax vaccine. My first inoculation was in the early fall. After the Day 0 inoculation I developed a low-grade fever as shown in the photo, so I am assuming that I was not in the placebo group. My Day 21 vaccine did not cause any fever or other symptoms. I go back for my last vaccination in February 2021. The Novavax vaccine is not a mRNA vaccine like the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Instead, the Novavax vaccine is a Covid-19 spike protein. The gene sequence of a Covid-19 spike protein is cloned into baculoviruses, which are then inoculated into moth cells, which in turn produce the protein. The spike proteins are then engineered to form micelles, agglomerations of the spike protein close in size to the virus. This recombinant vaccine is far more engineered than those they are use attenuated viruses, but it doesn't rely on the host's cellular machinery to make the vaccine like mRNA vaccines.